Thursday, October 3, 2013

Looking out the window of seat 9A on tonight's flight into Shreveport, Louisiana, I thought to myself, "I could be in a foreign country." The thick forests below broken by watery bayous something I had never seen before. Sure, I've been to New Orleans. Many times. But I've never seen such a large expanse of water wilderness. Perhaps I was flying over portions of Kisatchie National Forest -- I am not sure.

What I am sure of is that I am now -- for the first time ever -- in Shreveport, Louisiana at the Hilton Shreveport which is located downtown. I have a beautiful view of the Red River from my eighth floor guest room. The view from the rooftop swimming pool is also exciting. I watched the sun set over the lights of a tall refinery.

The Hilton Shreveport has free shuttle service from the airport -- about a 10 minute drive. My room is spacious with nice desk space -- good for the writer in me. The in-room coffee, iron, micro wave and fridge are all welcome amenities for the business traveler. That khaki skirt that I packed for tomorrow's tour of the Forts Randolf and Buhlow State Historic Site might need a pressing. And the Cuisinart coffee machine promises a good "wake me up" in the morning.
 Check back tomorrow for my report on the fort and how the Confederates used slave labor to build them.

No comments: